Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Zepplin and Idol poster analysis







Zeppelin and idol poster analysis

For this assignment, we had to design a 60’s themed poster for orchestral zeppelin, with a modern-ish look, Mike’s photo, and a visual representation of orchestra meets rock. And I think that my poster pretty much meat those expectations. However, did they meet the articles criteria? Let’s see:
The articles I read said what criteria’s are needed for a good poster design, like
Structure
Less is more
Background and such
Delightful and different
Big designs grabbing your attention

Well I think that my structure is pretty good. I would say the main focus is Michael; the way he is place in the poster, with only half of his face showing; I think that’s pretty eye catching. And he’s a different color than the background. Speaking of colors, I think that because it has to have a 60’s feel to it, the colors kind of make it pop a bit more, along with the text that’s all warped and twisted.
Because we had to make it kind of 60’s it may look a bit cluttered because the photo of mike takes up half the poster, then text. But that could be a bit of a good thing, and a bit of a bad thing. Because mike is big, it helps with my advertising of him, which falls under “big designs grabbing your attention”; you see it and you wonder what its for, the text is also big and colorful, which is good, I think the colors help it look somewhat psychedelic which was one goal hopefully achieved, but for some it may be too much text, maybe, and “less is more.” But I put the right amount of text needed to communicate my message; Time, place, where and when. Nothing that’s not needed, so I guess that would be debatable. (Whether or not it’s too much)
I think in terms of meeting my goal in advertising orchestral zeppelin in a 60’s feel, overall it turned out pretty well. I got the color schemes, the warped text; his photo altered in a funky way, and also a small visual representation of orchestra meets rock, with the double guitar and cello. It looks different and I like that about it, and that also falls under delightful and different.
I guess I’m pretty satisfied with it.

For the idol posters, (I’m analyzing both) I didn’t actually do a poster; I did the logo, which is on the poster. I think there fabulous by the way. I love that they both match in more than one way. They match in color, text, and information. I would say they met the expectations of poster design.
There not cluttered, the text is enlarged and easy to read, there’s an image that advertises the product, but in this case it’s advertising Jasmine Jewel being in TDSB idol competition, its gets the intended message across which is “vote for Jasmine Jewel” and it has a date when you can start to vote. The background is pretty plain; it has some pink behind it, which helps her image pop out a bit, and then just white space; and that good thing, because her picture, the pink, and white all work together, and that falls under background, figures, and blanks. (All three elements should work together.) The structure is great. Her image is not just plopped in the middle; it has some composition to it. The text added is big enough to read, and it gets the message out. The logo is creative, and it also gives the name of the competitor. The posters are simple and I think that’s what makes them so great. If anything, I would probably add the website you would go on to vote to make it easier for the audience, because everyone may not the website. But other than that, I really think they are fabulous and came out great. And as a team, I say we work really well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment